You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers keeps crashing after 10 seconds

My numbers app doesn't seem to work. When I click open, the app freezes and then quits unexpectedly. any reasons or suggestions? thanks!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 30, 2020 2:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 1, 2020 12:59 PM

Hi BU,

"With Safari you can hold shift while reopening it to start it up cleanly if it crashed or was force quit (it will not try to recover any previously open windows when it restarts). I don't know if that applies to Numbers but you could try it, can't hurt."

Shift-Restart does the same thing with Numbers (and with Pages).

Another step in the troubleshooting toolbox is a restart into Safe mode,

Click Restart (in the Apple menu), wait for the computer to shut down, pause and then to restart.

As soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold shift until you see the Apple logo on the screen with a progress bar beneath it.

Startup into Safe mode takes longer, as it launches several cleanup routines not not included in the 'normal' startup. You will also notice a degradation in video processing during Safe mode.

More here: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Regards,

Barry

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 1, 2020 12:59 PM in response to Badunit

Hi BU,

"With Safari you can hold shift while reopening it to start it up cleanly if it crashed or was force quit (it will not try to recover any previously open windows when it restarts). I don't know if that applies to Numbers but you could try it, can't hurt."

Shift-Restart does the same thing with Numbers (and with Pages).

Another step in the troubleshooting toolbox is a restart into Safe mode,

Click Restart (in the Apple menu), wait for the computer to shut down, pause and then to restart.

As soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold shift until you see the Apple logo on the screen with a progress bar beneath it.

Startup into Safe mode takes longer, as it launches several cleanup routines not not included in the 'normal' startup. You will also notice a degradation in video processing during Safe mode.

More here: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Regards,

Barry

Apr 30, 2020 3:49 AM in response to ConorChandler1

The usual first step is to reboot your computer then try it again.

With Safari you can hold shift while reopening it to start it up cleanly if it crashed or was force quit (it will not try to recover any previously open windows when it restarts). I don't know if that applies to Numbers but you could try it, can't hurt.

Delete the app and reinstall it from the app store.

Numbers keeps crashing after 10 seconds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.