You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unresponsive Trackpad & Keyboard

Hi all,

I am experiencing trouble with a 2019 15' MacBook Pro.

After lifting the screen and waking the computer up from sleeping, the trackpad & keyboard is unresponsive for a certain period of time, normally between 10 - 45 seconds. Once they become responsive I don't experience any issues until I once again put the computer to sleep. I know they are still receiving power as the backlight and Touch Bar both are lit up, during the period they are unresponsive.

I am aware that apple have acknowledged an issue with the keyboard in my Macs model and currently have a Keyboard Service Program. Could this be from the same issue? Or a seperate hardware/ software issue?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

MacBook

Posted on Apr 30, 2020 7:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 1, 2020 10:39 AM

Hi ry_CH,

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it seems like the Mac will wake from sleep but will not be responsive for a while. There are a couple things you can try that may be able to help. I would recommend you read these articles and use them to help troubleshoot the issue.

"These additional steps may help identify or resolve the issue: 

• Reset the SMC.
  • Reset NVRAM.
  • Disconnect external devices other than your Apple keyboard, mouse, and display. If that resolves the issue, gradually reconnect your devices, testing each time, until you find the device that is interfering with sleep. Then check the documentation that came with the device, or contact the device manufacturer.
  • Start up in Safe Mode to see if the issue is related to non-Apple startup items, login items, or kernel extensions. 
  • Try to isolate the issue by using another user account

If you still see the issue, contact Apple Support."

If your Mac doesn't sleep or wake when expected

Please don't hesitate to let us know if the steps resolved your issue or if you need additional assistance.

Cheers.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 1, 2020 10:39 AM in response to ry_CH

Hi ry_CH,

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it seems like the Mac will wake from sleep but will not be responsive for a while. There are a couple things you can try that may be able to help. I would recommend you read these articles and use them to help troubleshoot the issue.

"These additional steps may help identify or resolve the issue: 

• Reset the SMC.
  • Reset NVRAM.
  • Disconnect external devices other than your Apple keyboard, mouse, and display. If that resolves the issue, gradually reconnect your devices, testing each time, until you find the device that is interfering with sleep. Then check the documentation that came with the device, or contact the device manufacturer.
  • Start up in Safe Mode to see if the issue is related to non-Apple startup items, login items, or kernel extensions. 
  • Try to isolate the issue by using another user account

If you still see the issue, contact Apple Support."

If your Mac doesn't sleep or wake when expected

Please don't hesitate to let us know if the steps resolved your issue or if you need additional assistance.

Cheers.

Unresponsive Trackpad & Keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.