You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS 10.15.4 breaks everything including finder (iMac 15,1)

After logging in, I can see my desktop background and dock. An error message comes up saying Finder quit unexpectedly. Trying to open Finder results in a pop-up saying 'The application "Finder" Can't be opened.'

Problems:

• Most Apple apps don't seem to open (Finder, System Preferences, Safari, Photos, Notes, Music, App Store).
  • No WIFI networks are visible or connected.
  • Taking a screenshot with command+shift+3 shows the preview in the bottom right corner but results in the spinning colour wheel if the preview is clicked.
  • Spotlight doesn't open.
  • The top menu bar is only present when a third-party app is open. Clicking on the Apple logo presents the usual options. 'About this Mac' does nothing. This makes it impossible to tell if I have actually updated to 10.15.4. I just think I have because my iMac updated overnight and my MacBook Pro did not and my MacBook is running 10.15.3.
  • Pressing 'option' and clicking the Apple logo shows 'System Information' as an option but it does nothing.
  • Restarting normally or in Safe Mode does not fix any of these issues.

Things that do work:

• Terminal opens
  • Some third-party apps open and work as long as they don't need WIFI.
  • MATLAB (coding app) works. I can search the file system to open MATLAB files. I can run a MATLAB program that requires the reading of .csv files.
  • Bluetooth keyboard and graphics tablet connect and work as normal.

Please help. My iMac has suddenly become unusable with this Catalina update.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 30, 2020 7:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2020 8:32 PM

If the same problems are occurring in "Safe Mode" then reinstall macOS. If they continue to occur Contact Support. That Mac needs repair.

Similar questions

1 reply

MacOS 10.15.4 breaks everything including finder (iMac 15,1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.