You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard Drive is not connecting

I have a Sony External Hard Drive Model HD-B1. It was working properly till earlier today. It is not being recognized by my Appple MacBook Pro 13" any more. It shows up under USB in System Information but does not appear in Finder or in the Disk Utility. I have tried changing the USB port as well as restarting the computer in regular as well as in Safe Mode. However, the disk is not being recognized. Could anyone guide me on how this can be sorted out?

As we are still facing a lockdown, I have not been able to check it on another Mac or get a spare cable. I can feel the heard disk working when it is connected and the light is on for a few seconds at the start. The OS is updated (Catalina 10.15.4).

Posted on May 3, 2020 8:01 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 3, 2020 8:08 AM

hrb32 wrote:

I have a Sony External Hard Drive Model HD-B1. It was working properly till earlier today. It is not being recognized by my Appple MacBook Pro 13" any more. It shows up under USB in System Information but does not appear in Finder or in the Disk Utility. I have tried changing the USB port as well as restarting the computer in regular as well as in Safe Mode. However, the disk is not being recognized. Could anyone guide me on how this can be sorted out?

As we are still facing a lockdown, I have not been able to check it on another Mac or get a spare cable. I can feel the heard disk working when it is connected and the light is on for a few seconds at the start. The OS is updated (Catalina 10.15.4).

Try a different cable would be fundamental— start with the simplest, most obvious, and easy first.

Cable failure

enclosure/controller failure

disk failure

Use external storage devices with Mac - Apple Support

Repair a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 3, 2020 8:08 AM in response to hrb32

hrb32 wrote:

Try a different cable would be fundamental— start with the simplest, most obvious, and easy first.

Cable failure

enclosure/controller failure

disk failure

Use external storage devices with Mac - Apple Support

Repair a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

External hard Drive is not connecting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.