You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac login - being asked for name and pw

Hi, When I went to login to my 2016 imac, instead of requesting my usual pw login which is one line, it is asking for name and pw, two lines. Any idea what name and pw it is asking me for?

Thanks in advance for your assistance. Glen

Posted on May 4, 2020 1:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 4, 2020 1:47 PM

The name is the one that is on your Home folder, i.e. your admin name.

You can change it back to what you had in the System/Users & Groups/Login Options preference pane.

2 replies

May 4, 2020 4:37 PM in response to glrmac

You should be able to use either the short user name which is the name of your home user folder or you should be able to use the full or long user name.

Is this the only user account on the computer? I've encountered a macOS bug where the last user account created "disappears" as a login option. If you cannot log in by typing your user name & password, then perhaps you have encountered this bug as well. If you are encountering the macOS bug, then you will need to create another admin user account. I can provide instructions if you cannot log in by typing out the user name and resetting the Login options as mentioned by @Old Toad.

imac login - being asked for name and pw

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.