You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Don't have aspect ratio option to generate edited video in (3:4) or (9:16) from iMovie

Hi,

In iMovie I have edited a Video of 1080*1920 of (9:16) aspect ratio. And when I try to generate new video I don't have option to choose aspect ratio. Instead by default it is exporting (16:9) aspect ratio.

Am I missing any option to set this Aspect ratio.

thanks,

Venkat.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 5, 2020 8:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 5, 2020 8:51 AM

You are not missing any option. iMovie 10 has a fixed 16:9 aspect ratio that cannot be changed. When you set the crop adjustment to "Fit" (click the crop tool in the tool bar at the upper right of your screen and select "Fit" from the selection box) a video in 9:16 aspect ratio will display vertically but with black bars on each side of it to make it fit the 16:9 screen. When you export the video it will show smaller because it has been shrunk to fit a wide angle screen in a vertical orientation.

You can work around this by using the rotation rectangles of the crop tool to rotate the vertical video sideways so that it fills the screen. Then export it in the sideways orientation. Once the exported movie is on your desktop open it in QuickTimePlayer and use the rotating tool to rotate the video right side up. Then save it. Now the black bars will be eliminated and the video will display larger. You can do the same procedure with a 3:4 video.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 5, 2020 8:51 AM in response to VenkataRaju

You are not missing any option. iMovie 10 has a fixed 16:9 aspect ratio that cannot be changed. When you set the crop adjustment to "Fit" (click the crop tool in the tool bar at the upper right of your screen and select "Fit" from the selection box) a video in 9:16 aspect ratio will display vertically but with black bars on each side of it to make it fit the 16:9 screen. When you export the video it will show smaller because it has been shrunk to fit a wide angle screen in a vertical orientation.

You can work around this by using the rotation rectangles of the crop tool to rotate the vertical video sideways so that it fills the screen. Then export it in the sideways orientation. Once the exported movie is on your desktop open it in QuickTimePlayer and use the rotating tool to rotate the video right side up. Then save it. Now the black bars will be eliminated and the video will display larger. You can do the same procedure with a 3:4 video.

-- Rich

Don't have aspect ratio option to generate edited video in (3:4) or (9:16) from iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.