You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost files during transfer from one iMac to a new one.

I recently got a new mac and transferred my data but my ms office files did not convert, because system says I need an upgrade. Will my files return once I get an upgraded MS office.

Posted on May 5, 2020 9:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 5, 2020 10:29 PM

Your files migrated just fine. What did not migrate is MS Office for two reasons:

1. Catalina Macs OS 10.15.x will only run 64 bit applications. If you were running a 32 bit version it simply will not run on Catalina and you MUST upgrade.
  2. Both Microsoft and Adobe make their professional apps so they will not migrate period. So even if you had a 64 bit version of Office for Mac installed it will not migrate. However you can still simply re-install the version and then use the security key Microsoft provided to complete the installation.

And yes, once you have installed a 64bit version of Office for Mac your files will work just like they did on the old computer.

Finally, you have alternatives to Office for Mac, there is Libre Office which is web based and runs just like the MS version. You can also subscribe to Microsoft's 365 and remember the Apple Pages and Numbers apps will read and write to MS format.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 5, 2020 10:29 PM in response to patriciafrommanheim

Your files migrated just fine. What did not migrate is MS Office for two reasons:

1. Catalina Macs OS 10.15.x will only run 64 bit applications. If you were running a 32 bit version it simply will not run on Catalina and you MUST upgrade.
  2. Both Microsoft and Adobe make their professional apps so they will not migrate period. So even if you had a 64 bit version of Office for Mac installed it will not migrate. However you can still simply re-install the version and then use the security key Microsoft provided to complete the installation.

And yes, once you have installed a 64bit version of Office for Mac your files will work just like they did on the old computer.

Finally, you have alternatives to Office for Mac, there is Libre Office which is web based and runs just like the MS version. You can also subscribe to Microsoft's 365 and remember the Apple Pages and Numbers apps will read and write to MS format.

Lost files during transfer from one iMac to a new one.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.