You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I Play My iTunes Library From Various Computers Running On Different OS X If My Library Is On An External?

I have my iTunes library stored on an external hard-drive to free up space on my MacBook Pro.

My MacBook Pro is running on OS X 10.15.4 (Catalina).

I also have a 27-inch iMac, which is running on OS X 10.13.6 (High Sierra).

Since the iTunes library is managed on my MacBook Pro, the library isn't compatible with my iMac, but I am subscribed to iTunes Match so all of my music is in the Cloud. Is there a way that I can play my iTunes library on the iMac using iCloud? Right now when I click on iTunes on the iMac I get the error/warning:

"The folder containing 'iTunes Library' cannot be found, and is required. Please choose or create a new iTunes library."

I'm afraid to create a new library because I don't want it to replace the library I have in the cloud if I sync my iCloud account to iTunes once it's open. Thoughts?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 7, 2020 9:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 8, 2020 8:27 AM

If you have the complete iTunes library (database and media files) stored on an external drive you can move it between multiple computers running compatible versions of iTunes. Music in Catalina however is incompatible with iTunes. It can open and update an iTunes library, but the Music library cannot be accessed with iTunes. Given you have iTunes Match however you should be able to access the same cloud content from multiple libraries. If you enable iCloud Music Library in a new library any unique content will be merged into the existing cloud content, nothing is deleted. You can have separate libraries and use iTunes Match to keep the music synced. You can leave the bulk of the content in the cloud for the MacBook Pro so as not to fill up its drive.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 8, 2020 8:27 AM in response to DJMT1287

If you have the complete iTunes library (database and media files) stored on an external drive you can move it between multiple computers running compatible versions of iTunes. Music in Catalina however is incompatible with iTunes. It can open and update an iTunes library, but the Music library cannot be accessed with iTunes. Given you have iTunes Match however you should be able to access the same cloud content from multiple libraries. If you enable iCloud Music Library in a new library any unique content will be merged into the existing cloud content, nothing is deleted. You can have separate libraries and use iTunes Match to keep the music synced. You can leave the bulk of the content in the cloud for the MacBook Pro so as not to fill up its drive.

tt2

Can I Play My iTunes Library From Various Computers Running On Different OS X If My Library Is On An External?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.