You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2018 15-inch MacBook Pro Battery Bulge

My MacBook Pro 2018 was bought in 2018 summer. The Touch Bar Flickering issue happened during Christmas holiday and I got it repaired in Apple Menlo Park in January, 2019.

They promised that it will not flicker again. That's true. The next problem I met was battery bulge. They replaced my battery during that Touch Bar flicking warranty repairmen. Now, the battery bulge happened. I cannot cover the screen side to the keyboard side closely and the Touch Bar had a crack.

There's not any policy to cover this issue yet and my warranty has expired. I believe it's a hurt to Apple's reputation considering that my last $1000 MBA 2014 functioned perfectly for 4 years, while this $4000 MBP cannot even last for half a year.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 7, 2020 10:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 7:26 PM

I just had Apple repair my 2018 MBP for bulging battery. they sent me a box and I sent in then it was sent back with what looks like new keyboard, Touch Bar bottom shell since I have AppleCare+ there was zero charge and MBP is good as new.

I am now having my wife's 2017 MBP sent in for the same problem with bulging batteries as well using the same process.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 6, 2020 7:26 PM in response to Crear12

I just had Apple repair my 2018 MBP for bulging battery. they sent me a box and I sent in then it was sent back with what looks like new keyboard, Touch Bar bottom shell since I have AppleCare+ there was zero charge and MBP is good as new.

I am now having my wife's 2017 MBP sent in for the same problem with bulging batteries as well using the same process.

May 7, 2020 1:24 PM in response to Crear12

I believe Apple will replace a bulging battery that they installed. For now, however, stop using the computer in order to avoid further bulging. Make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service after the stores re-open. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. Also, see How to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Distributor (AAD).

If you have a Best Buy, then you can take it there for repair. They also service Apple computers.

May 7, 2020 1:31 PM in response to Kappy

Yes, I called the Apple Customer Service, who told me that I might have to wait for the re-open of Apple Store or go to a third-party service. However, both options require me to pay for it. She double checked all the policies but there's not one for 2018 MBP battery bulging. The policy is only eligible for batteries before 2017. Btw, I can hardly feel my trackpad's Taptic Engine now. I think it's insane that a bulging battery is not covered as major components and have to be paid for repair after 1 year warranty.

May 7, 2020 4:53 PM in response to DPJ

Yes, based on my previous experience of changing Touch Bar in Apple Store, it was around $900 (Covered by warranty). But I just, can't understand that an Apple product has deadly issue within 2 years that won't be covered. Let alone the keyboard things, the battery bulge policy only fits for 2015-2017. However, it happens not only on my 2018 MBP. I also found other cases of 2018 MBP battery bulge. I can hardly agree that I'm the one who should be responsible for it.

May 7, 2020 4:58 PM in response to Crear12

" But I just, can't understand that an Apple product has deadly issue within 2 years that won't be covered."

DEADLY? I understand you're frustrated but please don't exaggerate with words like DEADLY.

" I can hardly agree that I'm the one who should be responsible for it."

I never stated you were responsible. I simply said that since your well past the guarantee they MAY take care of you or they MAY charge you, especially since you declined on buying the AppleCare Plus. Best of luck.

May 7, 2020 5:35 PM in response to Crear12

"Oh trust me, if they told me that I had to buy the Apple Care +"

Applecare Plus is a choice you make if you want to avoid paying for future repairs, it's not something that needs to be forced upon you. Laptops have the highest chance of failure or damage since they are mobile products. I did mean that you were exaggerating calling the product's issue deadly. That's too over-the-top. Faulty is a word that makes sense.

2018 15-inch MacBook Pro Battery Bulge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.