You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to apply both crop AND trim

Hello,

Because of a project I have with a changing number of clips on screen at a time, it would be extremely useful to be able to apply both crop and trim to the clips. It seems the Final Cut only allows you to choose one or the other. Is this possible without any extra plugins?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.12

Posted on May 7, 2020 5:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 8, 2020 12:42 AM

“I have these 6 clips set to 640x540p”

Do you mean you trimmed the clips to that size, or the clips are natively that size and not partially confirmed?

The behavior I see is if I trim a clip and then switch to crop the crop function is on the trimmed area not in the whole clip.

7 replies

May 7, 2020 5:33 PM in response to kjoh330

Could you be a little more specific about what you mean? Maybe post some screenshots. Are you talking about the Crop function? Crop includes Trim and Crop. I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but you can switch between Trim and Crop, whichever one you last use to limit the boundaries of the clip will be the function applied. You can change the aspect ratio with trim and then apply crop, or crop and then then switch to trim.

May 7, 2020 7:39 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I have a standard 1920x1080p project and at one point I have 6 clips simultaneously on screen. With the transform and trim functions, I have these 6 clips set to 640x540p. Within these smaller dimensions, I'd like to crop the clips tighter. However, as soon as I switch from trim to crop, it undoes the trim function. The workaround I thought of was to export all 6 clips in the smaller aspect ratio, and then crop them in the original project, but I feel like I might be missing a way to apply both a crop and trim together.

May 7, 2020 10:07 PM in response to kjoh330

I know you said you don't want any extra plugins, but you might want to give this a try:

https://fcpxtemplates.com/product/sc-multiscreen/

(it's free until at least June 1, so it won't cost anything to try it.)

It should handle all your needs.

Set up one panel layout, then Save Effect Preset. Apply the preset to all your other clips and adjust the Clip Location parameter to set the placement of the individual clip.

How to apply both crop AND trim

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.