You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari would let me download PDFs

I realize there is a word issue because some people think download means displaying the document in the browser, but I mean actually downloading the document itself to my computer.

Safari refuses to allow me to do this on certain sites (banking sites). I done all the allow this on the prefs but still no deal. I can’t drag it off. It puts the PDF on a separate tab and apparently that is supposed to be enought and I should be happy with that.

Why can’t I actually download the PDF file.?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 8, 2020 12:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 8, 2020 12:37 PM

This actually depends on how the website chooses to present the PDF to the browser. In technical terms, it's to do with the Content-Disposition HTTP header. Nonetheless, you can still download a PDF that's showing in Safari by choosing File > Save As from the menu or pressing Command–S. Again depending on the website, holding Option (Alt) while clicking a link to a PDF can also force it to download.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 8, 2020 12:37 PM in response to Jean Shea

This actually depends on how the website chooses to present the PDF to the browser. In technical terms, it's to do with the Content-Disposition HTTP header. Nonetheless, you can still download a PDF that's showing in Safari by choosing File > Save As from the menu or pressing Command–S. Again depending on the website, holding Option (Alt) while clicking a link to a PDF can also force it to download.

Safari would let me download PDFs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.