You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad on version 7.0.4 stuck on checking for update

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on May 8, 2020 11:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 9, 2020 12:34 AM

chea155 Said:

"iPad mini retina: iPad on version 7.0.4 stuck on checking for update [...]Hi I want to update my iPad from version 7.0.4 to latest but it cannot because it was stuck on checking for update"

-------

Try Updating this through your computer:

1. Go Here: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support
  2. Scroll to: Update your device using your computer
  3. Proceed from there as necessary.

If that is of no success, scroll down to:

If you see error messages on your computer or need more space to update.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 9, 2020 12:34 AM in response to chea155

chea155 Said:

"iPad mini retina: iPad on version 7.0.4 stuck on checking for update [...]Hi I want to update my iPad from version 7.0.4 to latest but it cannot because it was stuck on checking for update"

-------

Try Updating this through your computer:

1. Go Here: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support
  2. Scroll to: Update your device using your computer
  3. Proceed from there as necessary.

If that is of no success, scroll down to:

If you see error messages on your computer or need more space to update.

May 9, 2020 3:54 AM in response to chea155

On the basis of the reported version of iOS installed on your iPad, in absence of other information, I infer that you may have either an original “first generation’ iPad Air, or an iPad mini2. With Apple’s update support for these models ending in September 2019, the final supported version for these iPad models is iOS 12.4.6.

As your iPad is so far behind behind the current release cycle, the OTA update mechanism accessed from iPad Settings is unlikely to be successful. As such, to update your iPad, it must be connected to either a PC running the latest version of iTunes - or a Mac with iTunes or Finder (as appropriate for the installed version of MacOS).

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204204

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/itunes/itns3235/windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.