You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apps Cannot Open Files on Macbook Pro with macOS catalina

Ok so I have a Macbook Pro running macOS Catalina, and i have a problem where I cannot open files using apps like Google Chrome and VirtualBox. When I try to open PDF files that are stored locally on my Macbook with Chrome, I cannot open anything, the files are greyed out and not selectable in the Open Widget, However, I can open the PDF files no problem using Safari, the open widget lets me select files using Safari, but not using Google Chrome.

Also, when I use Chrome to go to my Microsoft OneDrive Cloud where I store most of my files, Chrome Open Widget has the same problem, files are greyed out and not selectable, so for this reason unable to upload files to OneDrive.

I also am not able to load a vdi image file for CentOS Linux using VirtualBox, same issue, in the Open Widget the files are greyed out and not selectable.

I have a good bit of experience with Linux and also BSD Unix, so think this might be a permissions issue since macOS is based on BSD Unix. When I list the files from the terminal in the DOWNLOADS folder the files have an unusual @ symbol that I have never seen before in Linux and BSD Unix, like the following:

-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 michaelworkman staff 4958715904 Sep 20 2019 CentOS 7-1908 (64bit).vdi

I bought this Macbook Pro and also upgraded it to a larger SSD drive so I can use it to do software development with, but really its worthless if I cannot use Apps to open files. I also have a Windows 10 laptop and never had any problem like this ever with Windows. Thank you.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 9, 2020 10:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 9, 2020 3:28 PM

Ok I followed the instructions to do a safe boot, then logged in to my Macbook, started up Chrome, and then Chrome asked me "Make Chrome Default Browser", I selected YES, then I was able to Open PDF files in Chrome using the Open File widget, they were no longer greyed out like before.

Also, concerning Virtual Box, I was actually not configuring it correctly. The fix was to first create a Hard Drive in VirtualBox, I had a vdi file for CentOS Linux that I used to create the virtual hard drive, then after that I created a new CentOS Linux virtual machine from the virtual hard drive, now the VM is working correctly.

But for the Macbook keyboard to work with the VM, you have to authorize VirtualBox to use it by unlocking the settings, then choosing VirtualBox to have access to the keyboard, I had to enter my password to unlock the settings.

I was really angry about this problem considering all the money I spent on this Macbook, I bought it new from apple.com, but now that it is working correctly no longer angry about it. I do mobile apps so I needed this Macbook so I could use XCode to develop apps. Thanks for replying to my post.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 9, 2020 3:28 PM in response to leroydouglas

Ok I followed the instructions to do a safe boot, then logged in to my Macbook, started up Chrome, and then Chrome asked me "Make Chrome Default Browser", I selected YES, then I was able to Open PDF files in Chrome using the Open File widget, they were no longer greyed out like before.

Also, concerning Virtual Box, I was actually not configuring it correctly. The fix was to first create a Hard Drive in VirtualBox, I had a vdi file for CentOS Linux that I used to create the virtual hard drive, then after that I created a new CentOS Linux virtual machine from the virtual hard drive, now the VM is working correctly.

But for the Macbook keyboard to work with the VM, you have to authorize VirtualBox to use it by unlocking the settings, then choosing VirtualBox to have access to the keyboard, I had to enter my password to unlock the settings.

I was really angry about this problem considering all the money I spent on this Macbook, I bought it new from apple.com, but now that it is working correctly no longer angry about it. I do mobile apps so I needed this Macbook so I could use XCode to develop apps. Thanks for replying to my post.

May 9, 2020 11:44 AM in response to Michael G. Workman

Michael G. Workman wrote:

Ok so I have a Macbook Pro running macOS Catalina, and i have a problem where I cannot open files

I bought this Macbook Pro and also upgraded it to a larger SSD drive

Are you saying you just changed drives(?) You need to paint a bigger picture here.

please advise

If you are going to post out put/ then post the associated command line, makes it easier for everyone.

ls -l

* for executable
/ for directory
@ for symlink
| for fifo
= for socket

https://support.apple.com/guide/terminal/execute-commands-and-run-tools-apdb66b5242-0d18-49fc-9c47-a2498b7c91d5/2.10/mac/10.15

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc. Login and test. Reboot and test as caches get rebuilt.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204443

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

May 9, 2020 12:35 PM in response to Michael G. Workman

For CentOS vdi file:

000000 02 00 07 58 79 72 50 21 4F 36 B7 A5 F7 0C 16 82 |...XyrP!O6......|

00000010 7E 25 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 |~%..............|

00000020 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 |................|

00000030 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 |................|

00000040 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00             |........|

Apps Cannot Open Files on Macbook Pro with macOS catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.