You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Screensaver - Recent Photos

Since the beginning of time (ATV4), the screensaver config has been a puzzle. I am able to set the screensaver for Shared Photo albums, however I would like to use my normal photos like what I see in the AppleTVs Photos app under the category of “recents”.

Is this possible?

Apple TV HD, 13

Posted on May 10, 2020 1:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 10, 2020 1:28 PM

I don’t think you are missing anything. You are looking for a feature that is not there.

The Recents album is a ‘smart’ album, making it dynamic over time, like a live search query that is renewed every time it is accessed. It is not a ‘real’ album like the static albums, where all albums have pointers to all their specific images.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 10, 2020 1:28 PM in response to Lennys26

I don’t think you are missing anything. You are looking for a feature that is not there.

The Recents album is a ‘smart’ album, making it dynamic over time, like a live search query that is renewed every time it is accessed. It is not a ‘real’ album like the static albums, where all albums have pointers to all their specific images.

May 10, 2020 8:31 AM in response to Lennys26

The custom screen saver will be the total or a selection from a photo album at the time that this screen saver is set/defined.

Currently it is not dynamic, to search for recent photos specifically. Use AirPlay instead for such functionality.

If you think many users would benefit from such a feature, then you could suggest it to Apple.

May 10, 2020 11:18 AM in response to Urquhart1244

@Urquhart1244 - Thanks. That makes sense, however, I want the ATV to use the recent photos that are available from the general photos that I have taken (understanding the lack of static nature of the load). So, this would mean that the folder album is called "Recents" (in my iPhone under Photos->Albums.

On the AppleTV, when I go to Screensaver->My Photos, I only have options for "Shared", which contains a selectable list of albums that I have shared with family/friends, and "Activity", which is a [very small selection, thus extremely repetitive list] of random photos from those shared albums.

Am I missing something?

Apple TV Screensaver - Recent Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.