You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t Reinstall macOS after factory reset

I’m using 2017 MacBook Pro no Touch Bar. I followed all the instructions given by Apple and now I can’t reinstall macOS. I’ve tried Command+R, Option+Command+R, and Shift+Option+Command+R. When I try to install Catalina, I get pkdownloadError8. When I try to install Sierra, which is the OS my MacBook Pro shipped with, I get the message “An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again.” What should I do?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 10, 2020 7:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 10, 2020 12:42 PM

Ok, that is very odd as your screenshot seems to show two internal SSDs which is not possible in a 2017 laptop. Did you check to see if your laptop qualifies for the free SSD repair program?

Also run the Apple Diagnostics.

Boot into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R so that it boots the Catalina installer. Launch the Terminal app from the Utilities menu and run the following commands making sure to press the "Return" key at the end of each line to execute the command. Post the results here.

diskutil  list  internal

diskutil  ap  list

diskutil  info  disk0
11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 10, 2020 12:42 PM in response to hw21

Ok, that is very odd as your screenshot seems to show two internal SSDs which is not possible in a 2017 laptop. Did you check to see if your laptop qualifies for the free SSD repair program?

Also run the Apple Diagnostics.

Boot into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R so that it boots the Catalina installer. Launch the Terminal app from the Utilities menu and run the following commands making sure to press the "Return" key at the end of each line to execute the command. Post the results here.

diskutil  list  internal

diskutil  ap  list

diskutil  info  disk0

May 10, 2020 11:12 AM in response to hw21

Make sure to erase the physical drive instead of a drive volume like "Macintosh HD". Within Disk Utility you need to click on "View" and select "Show All Devices" before the physical drive will appear on the left pane of Disk Utility. It should be identified something like "Apple SSD....". See this Apple article for details:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208496

Try connecting the laptop directly to your router using an Ethernet cable and an USB-C Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter.

See if your laptop qualifies for this free Apple SSD repair program:

https://support.apple.com/13-inch-macbook-pro-solid-state-drive-service

FYI, here is the current list of all the publicly acknowledged free repair programs for various Apple products (some such as your laptop have multiple programs):

https://support.apple.com/exchange_repair

May 10, 2020 5:04 PM in response to hw21

Ok, all that looks good so I don't know why your first screenshot of Disk Utility appeared to show two internal drives unless that is how a too old version of Disk Utility sees the newer drive layouts.

While booted into Internet Recovery Mode for the Catalina installer try using Disk Utility again to erase the physical drive remembering to click on "View" and selecting "Show All Devices" so the physical drive appears in the left pane of Disk Utility. If two internal physical drives appear again, then try selecting and erasing the top most option. Erase the physical drive as GUID partition and APFS (top option). From what I saw in your screenshot of Disk Utility you were doing everything correctly.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208496

Can’t Reinstall macOS after factory reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.