You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot delete old backup files from trash

I've moved some old back ups from my time machine drive to the trash on my iMac. I can't seem to delete them.

Is there a way of doing this?

I'm running 10.14 OS.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 11, 2020 6:28 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 11, 2020 9:10 AM

Yikes, please never do that! You may have borked your Time Machine backups. If you can please use the Put Back feature in Trash to put the files back. Time Machine will automatically remove the oldest backups, this is it's default function. However there is a method to manually remove backups. If you insist on doing this, please follow the directions in https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/delete-a-file-time-machine-backup-disk-mh26863/mac Trying to move TM backups to the Trash only causes bigger problems!

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 11, 2020 9:10 AM in response to Dan Farrell

Yikes, please never do that! You may have borked your Time Machine backups. If you can please use the Put Back feature in Trash to put the files back. Time Machine will automatically remove the oldest backups, this is it's default function. However there is a method to manually remove backups. If you insist on doing this, please follow the directions in https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/delete-a-file-time-machine-backup-disk-mh26863/mac Trying to move TM backups to the Trash only causes bigger problems!

Cannot delete old backup files from trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.