You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Show Keyboard Viewer" and "Show Emoji & Symbols" not working

The Hide and Show commands for Keyboard Viewer and Emoji & Symbols are not working on my 2012 MBP (Mojave 10.14.6). The icon is in the menu bar, but nothing happens when I click on the commands, other than "Show" becoming "Hide", as would happen if the viewers were in fact working.

I removed the following from my Library/Preferences folder:

com.apple.keyboard.plist

com.apple.keyboardservicesd.plist

com.apple.KeyboardViewer.plist

which had no effect. They were not regenerated on re-booting (which may be a clue), and I've put them back. The only other clues are that the icon in the menu bar is generic-looking, and not the flag indicating a US keyboard layout (which I have set), and that the problem persists when logged in on a Guest account.

Anybody have any ideas about how to get it working again? I depend on this feature to get Greek letters for my technical writing.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 11, 2020 1:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 11, 2020 4:57 PM

First, you could try booting into Safe Mode then reboot normally.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Another thing you can try is download the Mojave 10.14.6 Combo installer and hope it writes over whatever the problem may be.

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2010?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

1 reply

"Show Keyboard Viewer" and "Show Emoji & Symbols" not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.