You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QuickTime opens Application folder when launched

I have Mac OS 10.14.6 and QuickTime v10.5

I would like to perform a screen recording.

When I launch QuickTime it opens the Application folder. All applications, including QuickTime are grayed out. I click cancel. QuickTime's record button is grayed out and doesn't respond.

I have restarted my computer without results.

What's going on???

MacBook Pro 13", OS X 10.11

Posted on May 11, 2020 3:05 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 12, 2020 6:18 AM

When you launch QuickTime Player, it may offer an Open dialog box for selecting a multimedia file to open. If you don’t intend to open such a file at this time, then click Cancel.

Other functions, such as creating a recording, are available from e.g. the File menu.

Security settings may prevent use of the camera and microphone until the users has allowed such. If such a warning has been dismissed in the past, then it can be changed later in:

System Preferences﹥Security & Privacy﹥Privacy﹥

﹥Camera﹥Allow: ☑︎ QuickTime Player

﹥Microphone﹥Allow: ☑︎ QuickTime Player

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 12, 2020 6:18 AM in response to bettybdne

When you launch QuickTime Player, it may offer an Open dialog box for selecting a multimedia file to open. If you don’t intend to open such a file at this time, then click Cancel.

Other functions, such as creating a recording, are available from e.g. the File menu.

Security settings may prevent use of the camera and microphone until the users has allowed such. If such a warning has been dismissed in the past, then it can be changed later in:

System Preferences﹥Security & Privacy﹥Privacy﹥

﹥Camera﹥Allow: ☑︎ QuickTime Player

﹥Microphone﹥Allow: ☑︎ QuickTime Player

QuickTime opens Application folder when launched

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.