You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving apps from old MacBook to new one - but different Apple ID

I have a MacBook that was a present from me to my late wife Vivien. Since she passed away I have been using the machine, and for simplicity's sake, applications on it have been installed under her Apple ID.

I have ordered a new MacBook, and I wish to install most of those applications onto the new machine.

Do I need to keep the same Apple ID for my new machine? I would really like to create my own ID but would that stop me from using the applications that were installed under her name?

Andrew Good

Posted on May 13, 2020 2:01 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 13, 2020 8:37 AM

The applications are tied to the Apple ID that downloaded them They can't be transferred to another Apple ID. You have two basic options.

Create/use a new Apple ID for use everywhere but the App Store/iTunes. In the App Store/iTunes, use her ID.

You can try setting up Family Sharing between the IDs if you want to be able to share purchases made with the IDs.

Family Sharing.         

Family Sharing - Set up.       

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 13, 2020 8:37 AM in response to viviengood

The applications are tied to the Apple ID that downloaded them They can't be transferred to another Apple ID. You have two basic options.

Create/use a new Apple ID for use everywhere but the App Store/iTunes. In the App Store/iTunes, use her ID.

You can try setting up Family Sharing between the IDs if you want to be able to share purchases made with the IDs.

Family Sharing.         

Family Sharing - Set up.       

Moving apps from old MacBook to new one - but different Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.