You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Colored Distortion

I’ve been searching forever and can’t find an answer. Occasionally, my 4K Apple TV will get colored distortion at the bottom of the screen. Same colors, same pattern. I reset, restart, switch HDMI ports, and change the settings. It’s still there. I know it’s the Apple TV because if I turn it of, the distortion disappears. Has anyone else experienced this problem? How did you resolve it?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 13

Posted on May 13, 2020 4:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 13, 2020 5:43 PM

Have you changed HDMI cables and are you using a very high quality HDMI cable designed for 4K such as https://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketfish-8-4k-ultrahd-hdr-in-wall-rated-hdmi-cable-black/3720011.p?skuId=3720011

Finally have you unplugged the Apple TV from the power for about 5 minutes and re-plug it back in and test.

Please do the following in this order:

• Turn off TV
  • Replace HDMI cable
  • Power cycle the Apple TV as described above
  • Turn TV back on
  • Test
  • If problem persists, contact AppleCare.
4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 13, 2020 5:43 PM in response to Wic7410

Have you changed HDMI cables and are you using a very high quality HDMI cable designed for 4K such as https://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketfish-8-4k-ultrahd-hdr-in-wall-rated-hdmi-cable-black/3720011.p?skuId=3720011

Finally have you unplugged the Apple TV from the power for about 5 minutes and re-plug it back in and test.

Please do the following in this order:

• Turn off TV
  • Replace HDMI cable
  • Power cycle the Apple TV as described above
  • Turn TV back on
  • Test
  • If problem persists, contact AppleCare.

May 14, 2020 4:04 AM in response to Wic7410

Additionally, you can try using a different HDMI port on the TV.

Additionally, as a test, you can try using the Apple TV on a different TV.

The noise is in the signal between the devices. So test the cables and both HDMI ports.

The cable clutter, with power cables and signal cables intertwined, can be a source of interference, too.

Colored Distortion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.