You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Monitor didn't show correct resolution

I bought a new Samsung monitor LC27JG54QQEXXY with the spec of 2560x1440, 144HZ.

I connect with my iMac 27" Late 2013 macOS Sierra, but after connected with thunderbolt converter to HTMI, my Samsung monitor only showing maximum resolution of 1920x1080.

I tried connect with my another newer iMac with macOS Mojave, with same converter and cable, the monitor work completely fine in 2560x1440.

What is the problem?

iMac 27", macOS 10.12

Posted on May 14, 2020 11:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 17, 2020 4:19 AM

God ****! FINALLY I have the solution!

Using 'Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort' it solved the problem! My iMac Late 2013 work with my Samsung Monitor in 2560x1440.

Wooho!! Hope this help those have the same problem.

Apple should have indicate which cable to use in the product spec instead, not letting customer to figure out!

Use this cable guys

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 17, 2020 4:19 AM in response to BDAqua

God ****! FINALLY I have the solution!

Using 'Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort' it solved the problem! My iMac Late 2013 work with my Samsung Monitor in 2560x1440.

Wooho!! Hope this help those have the same problem.

Apple should have indicate which cable to use in the product spec instead, not letting customer to figure out!

Use this cable guys

May 16, 2020 9:58 AM in response to BDAqua

I came across an article, it said my iMac late 2013 is support external monitor up to 2560x1600 only by 'Mini DisplayPort to dual-link DVI'.

I double check on my both iMac late 2013 (which do not work with my monitor) and iMac late 2015 (work completely fine with my monitor) spec, the different between Mini DisplayPort is one do not mentioned HDMI but another do.

iMac Late 2013

iMac Late 2015

Is that possible because my iMac Late 2013 do not support DisplayPort to HDMI?

External Monitor didn't show correct resolution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.