You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store says computer is registered to a different Apple ID

Our company purchased a new 13" MacBook Air earlier this year for my coworker. Whenever we purchase a new Mac, I do the set up and configure it for the user... I install all the software and connect to our network, printers, etc. then give it to the user ready to go. To do this, I log in using my Apple ID and update all the software, then sign out of my account and remove that device from my list. This has always worked without any problem.

Now whenever the user tries to update or install anything on the App Store it says the computer is registered to another Apple ID. The device is not listed under my ID and it shows it is registered to the user. She uses this same Apple ID for email and on her iPhone and everything else works fine but for some reason the App Store on this Mac will not allow her access. I've tried signing back in with my Apple ID but I get the same error and it won't let me install any updates from the App Store either.

I tried to email Apple Support but it limits the description to 250 letters which is not enough to even describe the problem. Can someone point me in the right direction to resolve this?

Thank you.

MacBook Air

Posted on May 15, 2020 10:45 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

May 15, 2020 12:33 PM in response to manrhea

If you used your ID to set the computer up and update all the applications, the computer/updates should be registered to your Apple ID. If the computer isn't authorized under your ID, you don't have 'permission' to use the App Store/iTunes using your ID on that computer.

Since the computers are company computers, you might want to check on Apple's Business Program.

Business - Get Started - Apple.   

Business Support.    

Apple Business Manager User Guide.    

Apple Business Manager - Use Managed Apple IDs with.    

Get Support for Apple Business Manager.    

App Store says computer is registered to a different Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.