You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos cannot find the System Photo Library named “Photos Library.photoslibrary”

another library and set it as the System Photo Library in Preferences.

Hi, am using a different machine to what I use normally, can anyone help as to where I find the folder it needs. All my photos are in iCloud. Thanks Matt

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 16, 2020 1:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 16, 2020 2:57 AM

Since all your photos are in iCloud Photos Library, you can simply launch Photos while holding down the options key ⌥. Release the key when you are seeing the Library Chooser dialog. Now click the button to create a new library.

• Create the new library in your Pictures folder.
  • Then open the Photos > Preferences > General. Click "Use as System Photo Library".
  • Open Photos Preferences > iCloud and enable "iCloud Photos" and optimise Mac Storage.

The photos will download from iCloud to this mac, optimised, so they will not need much storage.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 16, 2020 2:57 AM in response to parcan16

Since all your photos are in iCloud Photos Library, you can simply launch Photos while holding down the options key ⌥. Release the key when you are seeing the Library Chooser dialog. Now click the button to create a new library.

• Create the new library in your Pictures folder.
  • Then open the Photos > Preferences > General. Click "Use as System Photo Library".
  • Open Photos Preferences > iCloud and enable "iCloud Photos" and optimise Mac Storage.

The photos will download from iCloud to this mac, optimised, so they will not need much storage.

Photos cannot find the System Photo Library named “Photos Library.photoslibrary”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.