You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems Deleting Time Machine Backups

I made the mistake of manually moving super old backups (most from a laptop I no longer own, but some from this computer) from an external TimeMachine drive into my Mac's trash. When I tried to empty the trash, it deleted thousands of files but got down to the core files and they won't delete. I've learned from other boards that this was a massive mistake, but I need to figure out how to delete what remains in the trash bin.

When I attempt to delete each folder one-by-one, it prompts me to enter my computer's password, which I do. Then I get this error: "The operation can’t be completed because some items had to be skipped. For each item, choose File > Get Info, make sure “Locked” is deselected, and then check the Sharing & Permissions section. When you are sure the items are unlocked and not designated as Read Only or No Access, try again." I unlock it and the Sharing section has 3 files: "system - Read & Write," "wheel - Read only," and "everyone - Read only." When I attempt to change "wheel" and "everyone" to "Read & Write" I get an error that says I don't have permission to make the change.

Because most of the files did delete, I'm past the point of attempting to move them from the trash back onto the external drive - that doesn't seem to work. Any help would be really appreciated!!

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 19, 2020 9:19 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Problems Deleting Time Machine Backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.