You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Losing internet connectivity frequently

Okay, please read to the end because you're going to THINK you know what the question is, but it's not the obvious things.

For about a month, my iMac (2019 model) has been losing connectivity frequently. Restarting the computer seems to be the only resolution. After a reboot it usually works again, though for the past few days that has been unreliable as well.

What do I mean by "connectivity? Well, I'm not sure exactly, here's the symptoms. The computer is hardwired to our router, Wifi is disabled. At no time will an error, or warning, notify me that the internet isn't working. But anything that requires an External connection simply sits idle forever. Web browser, connection to cloud drives, Discord or Zoom connections, anything.

HOWEVER. The computer can still stream media to other devices in the house. It is still clearly connected to the router, which is also functioning, as other devices can still access the internet via wifi, or ethernet connection.

iPad connected to router Wifi can still access internet. PS4 hardwired to Router can access internet. Both can access files stored on Desktop in question. So the router appears to be functioning correctly. The cable itself is also working. Everything is working! But still the desktop internet connection won't "work". It is connected. It thinks it's connected anyway. If I turn on WIFI it is able to connect to the router's wifi signal, but still won't actually DO anything external.

So yeah, I'm really confused as to what could be the problem... >_< Working from home, kids have remote classes, all that stuff during distancing measures, so it's a fairly critical problem. Any ideas?

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 21, 2020 10:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 21, 2020 10:34 AM

Check the following setting on your iMac with it connected to the router by Ethernet: System Preferences > Network > Ethernet > Advanced > Proxies

There should not be any option enabled in the "Select a protocol to configure" window. Is that true for your case? Also, the "Bypass proxy settings for these Hosts & Domains" should contain the following: *.local, 169.254/16

Finally, are you running any type of software firewall, VPN app, or AV app on this iMac?

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 21, 2020 10:34 AM in response to Vertigo81

Check the following setting on your iMac with it connected to the router by Ethernet: System Preferences > Network > Ethernet > Advanced > Proxies

There should not be any option enabled in the "Select a protocol to configure" window. Is that true for your case? Also, the "Bypass proxy settings for these Hosts & Domains" should contain the following: *.local, 169.254/16

Finally, are you running any type of software firewall, VPN app, or AV app on this iMac?

May 21, 2020 10:41 AM in response to Vertigo81

Great advice from Tesserax.

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

Sys Prefs>Network>highlight the Interface you're using>Advanced>TCP/IP>Configure IPv4: Using DHCP.

If using Wifi, instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

System Preferences>Network>choose interface>Advanced>Proxies Tab, make sure none are set, like for HTTP & HTTPS.

System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

Apply.

iMac Losing internet connectivity frequently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.