You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing the Number at the Start of Each Paragraph

Hi.

I imported some text into my Pages Document and the number six (superscript) appears at the beginning of each paragraph, and in areas where a double space occurs between paragraphs. How do I make it disappear without having to hit the delete key for each one?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 22, 2020 5:46 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 22, 2020 9:19 AM

When you copy and paste content from Google Docs into Pages, the Google side writes that content into the macOS clipboard. If that clipboard content is partially unintelligible to Pages due to some Google Docs encoding, then your paste can produce martians in your pasted Pages content. Your alternative of downloading content as Word content also works.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 22, 2020 9:19 AM in response to piazzas

When you copy and paste content from Google Docs into Pages, the Google side writes that content into the macOS clipboard. If that clipboard content is partially unintelligible to Pages due to some Google Docs encoding, then your paste can produce martians in your pasted Pages content. Your alternative of downloading content as Word content also works.

May 22, 2020 8:48 AM in response to piazzas

Pages is incapable of detecting superscript or subscript numbers in a document, even when one inserts an actual superscript 6 from the character viewer. Instead, paste that text into TextEdit. Select one instance of that superscript 6, and then from the Edit menu : Find : Use selection for Find. Then, Edit menu : Find : Find and Replace.

In the Find and Replace panel the superscript 6 will be in the Find, and you leave Replace empty. Then Replace All, and all superscript 6 are removed from the text content. Now, copy/paste this cleaned text into Pages.

May 22, 2020 9:01 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you for responding, VikingOSX. The superscript 6 characters were not something that were in the original text (a Google Doc), but for some reason just appeared once I pasted the original text into the Apple Pages document I was working on. And it didn't affect the entire text I pasted in, just 30 consecutive pages of a random section. I came up with a workaround, where I downloaded the original section as a .doc and then opened it in a new Apple Pages document, and I upon seeing no sign of the 6 anywhere, I just copied and pasted the text from that new Pages document over the text in the Pages document I've been working on. I'm still curious what happened originally, but at least I can continue working. Thanks again.

Removing the Number at the Start of Each Paragraph

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.