You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I enlarge a partition containing active Catalina OS on last part of drive

Hi

I have a drive with my presently active Catalina OS on last part of drive, then an unused 50 GB partition, and then a 901 GB Macintosh HD partition.

How can I allow the Catalina OS partition to use the 50GB unused space?

Thanks

Niitaka

iMac 21.5"

Posted on May 23, 2020 5:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 23, 2020 6:15 PM

I was under the impression that AFP was easier to work with.

It's APFS and it is easier, but you are confusing the File System from the physical device configuration. The file system won't change how a drive is physically partitioned. The partitioning exists in a layer above the file system

I think your idea has merit. If you can split your Macintosh HD partition, then clone it to that partition, you can then delete the current partition and merge that into the new one.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 23, 2020 6:15 PM in response to niitaka

It's APFS and it is easier, but you are confusing the File System from the physical device configuration. The file system won't change how a drive is physically partitioned. The partitioning exists in a layer above the file system

I think your idea has merit. If you can split your Macintosh HD partition, then clone it to that partition, you can then delete the current partition and merge that into the new one.

May 23, 2020 5:49 PM in response to Barney-15E

Hi Barney-15E

Thanks for the reply. I suspected as much.

What is the best way of dealing with this.

As I'm now getting warnings about lack of space in my Catalina data area, it appears I have to do something.

What would be the recommended course of action here? Can I clone my present Catalina partition into a larger one on the drive?

Regards

Niitaka

How can I enlarge a partition containing active Catalina OS on last part of drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.