You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 16 with LG UltraFine 5K Display lags.

My Macbook PRO 16 lags when connected to the LG UltraFine 5K Display. It lags at any moment. I can have any application running and lags. I have tried changing the Display settings (at Default for Display LG-Ultrafine color profile --installed the LG driver app from the App Store), tested charging my macbook both through the monitor and with its charger, and still lags. I installed iStat Menus and can see NO application is hogging the GPU to make it lag. The track mouse jumps far away as if it had a spring, it holds back and then suddenly jumps further away from where I intended to take it. Video playback (youtube or Quicktime) lags and/or sound just stops for half a second. None of this happens when I disconnect the monitor.

I have a MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019), 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB, 8TB SSD, MD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB. Monitor is the Apple recommended LG UltraFine 5K Display 27MD5KL-B.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 27, 2020 8:18 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

May 28, 2020 1:54 PM in response to JoKrone

Mouse-cursor position update is done by the CPU, in the background, at low priority. The thing that makes it "jump" is not having time to re-draw the cursor frequently enough.

Counter-intuitively, if your main Processor -- that's CPU, NOT Graphics processor -- is busy, the cursor will jump. It's generally not a graphics problem at all.

The only case where this is graphics-related is if you are using a Dock with a "legacy" display Interface, and the Dock uses DisplayLink technology. This is because DisplayLink provides a simulated, un-accelerated display rather than using the graphics card Display Generator..

May 29, 2020 6:42 AM in response to brenden dv

Ok, I'm submitting this entry from Safe Mode, and this is what I'm experiencing: Mouse movement is choppy, Menus and Dock navigation also very choppy. Bringing up the Applications pane from the Dock has a 1 sec delay and scrolling thru the apps in the Application pane responds slowly and fires up the fans (very high). I started the LG Screen Manager (recommended by LG and downloaded directly from the App Store) and it seems to slightly improve, but not by much. Starting Safari (the only App I started fans began to kick up again.

Tested removing the monitor and raising the laptop screen and I can't sense any improvements.

Macbook Pro 16 with LG UltraFine 5K Display lags.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.