You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBooks “look up” for words not working

When I highlight a word in iBooks and choose “lookup” I don’t get any definitions — instead I get some unhelpful web search options.

I’ve used the “manage dictionaries” function to add a French-English dictionary (I’m reading a French novel at the moment), but that hasn’t helped.

i just updated to the latest iOS this week — but had this problem prior to the update as well.

iPhone 7, iOS 13

Posted on May 30, 2020 4:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 30, 2020 7:14 AM

Re Dictionary: Yes -- I have English, French, and French-English dictionaries all checked.

And yes, the book is from the Apple Bookstore (though it is an "older one" -- one of the cheap ones with a "default" cover and such).

Interesting -- I just tried it with a newer more "commercial" book in English, and it was able to look up an English word just fine... Maybe it is something with the eBook itself despite being purchased through the bookstore? Maybe I should try to buy a newer more commercial edition of a French book and see what happens?

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 30, 2020 7:14 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Re Dictionary: Yes -- I have English, French, and French-English dictionaries all checked.

And yes, the book is from the Apple Bookstore (though it is an "older one" -- one of the cheap ones with a "default" cover and such).

Interesting -- I just tried it with a newer more "commercial" book in English, and it was able to look up an English word just fine... Maybe it is something with the eBook itself despite being purchased through the bookstore? Maybe I should try to buy a newer more commercial edition of a French book and see what happens?

iBooks “look up” for words not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.