You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine backup failure

I get the following error on Time Machine when an automatic backup starts on my external drive:

Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while creating the backup folder.

My system configuration: Macbook Pro 10.14.6 Retina mid 2015, 16 GB RAM. Today is the first day of the error and I cannot complete a backup.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 31, 2020 4:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 31, 2020 7:06 PM

If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine suggests running Disk Utility's First Aid:

• To check an external drive connected to your Mac, open Disk Utility from the Utilities folder of your Applications folder. Then use the First Aid feature in Disk Utility to verify your disk. Do this for your startup disk as well.

Repair a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support explains how to use First Aid.

It's common to prematurely assume the problem is due to a defective or worn out backup hard disk drive, because it usually is. I added the boldface for emphasis though, because it's frequently overlooked: you need to check both backup and source volumes. To "repair" the startup disk (source) requires restarting your Mac in Recovery mode: Restart your computer in macOS Recovery.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 31, 2020 7:06 PM in response to musicman38

If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine suggests running Disk Utility's First Aid:

• To check an external drive connected to your Mac, open Disk Utility from the Utilities folder of your Applications folder. Then use the First Aid feature in Disk Utility to verify your disk. Do this for your startup disk as well.

Repair a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support explains how to use First Aid.

It's common to prematurely assume the problem is due to a defective or worn out backup hard disk drive, because it usually is. I added the boldface for emphasis though, because it's frequently overlooked: you need to check both backup and source volumes. To "repair" the startup disk (source) requires restarting your Mac in Recovery mode: Restart your computer in macOS Recovery.

Time machine backup failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.