You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I update iPhoto?

How do I update iPhoto. I am running Catalina 10.15.5

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 7:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 7:55 AM

There is no full version of iPhoto that can run on Catalina, because iPhoto needs some 32bit code, you can only get patched, risky versions. There has been no update for iPhoto since 2015, when Apple replaced iPhoto by Photos for Mac and removed iPhoto from the AppStore.. The last system version supporting iPhoto is macOS 10.14.6 Mojave.

You can open the iPhoto Libraries in Photos for Mac to get access to your photos.

See: Updating from iPhoto to Photos for macOS – Apple Support

And: Notes on Migrating an iPhoto Library from iPhoto to Photos for Mac

If you really need to stick with iPhoto because of projects, that need finishing, it would be best to revert your mac to Mojave from a Time Machine backup and make the Catalina upgrade a bit later or install Mojave in a separate partition, just for iPhoto. Revert your Mac to a previous macOS version - Apple Atbalsts

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 2, 2020 7:55 AM in response to Jerry C W

There is no full version of iPhoto that can run on Catalina, because iPhoto needs some 32bit code, you can only get patched, risky versions. There has been no update for iPhoto since 2015, when Apple replaced iPhoto by Photos for Mac and removed iPhoto from the AppStore.. The last system version supporting iPhoto is macOS 10.14.6 Mojave.

You can open the iPhoto Libraries in Photos for Mac to get access to your photos.

See: Updating from iPhoto to Photos for macOS – Apple Support

And: Notes on Migrating an iPhoto Library from iPhoto to Photos for Mac

If you really need to stick with iPhoto because of projects, that need finishing, it would be best to revert your mac to Mojave from a Time Machine backup and make the Catalina upgrade a bit later or install Mojave in a separate partition, just for iPhoto. Revert your Mac to a previous macOS version - Apple Atbalsts

Jun 2, 2020 7:54 AM in response to Iamfunnyninja

Ignore Iamfunnyninja.

iPhoto will not run in Catalina since it is 32 bit. Photos replaced iPhoto years ago. To use Photos to access your iPhoto Library, Launch Photos with the option key held down. From the resulting dialog, choose your iPhoto Library. Photos will use your iPhoto media to create a new Photos Library. Your iPhoto Library will not be changed.

How do I update iPhoto?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.