You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing ripped content across family devices through Apple Family Sharing

I've ripped loads of CDs (some of them quite obscure and therefore not contained within Apple's music library) and have them saved on my PC. They form part of playlists which I have built over the years. In the past I have shared playlists and all tracks (including the ripped content) across my devices and those of my wife by us sharing my Apple ID. However, we have recently moved to Apple Family Sharing and I would like to share my playlists with my other family members, including giving them access to all the tracks (including the ripped content). Is this possible and, if so, how can I do this? If my children have access to my playlists, can the playlists be "locked" so the children can't accidentally delete tracks from my playlists?

Thank you!

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 4:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 6:57 PM

including giving them access to all the tracks (including the ripped content). Is this possible and, if so, how can I do this?

You can share purchased iTunes music using Family Sharing, but not your own CD based music. The license you have with that CD music was for a single person. Whoever purchased the CD.

Using iTunes and Home Sharing, you can shared the CD music in your home/network environment, but you can't use your iCloud Music Library to stream it.

A Family subscription to Apple Music gives each of your own music library.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 3, 2020 6:57 PM in response to Ben-Apple-User

including giving them access to all the tracks (including the ripped content). Is this possible and, if so, how can I do this?

You can share purchased iTunes music using Family Sharing, but not your own CD based music. The license you have with that CD music was for a single person. Whoever purchased the CD.

Using iTunes and Home Sharing, you can shared the CD music in your home/network environment, but you can't use your iCloud Music Library to stream it.

A Family subscription to Apple Music gives each of your own music library.

Sharing ripped content across family devices through Apple Family Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.