You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook cannot shut down and cannot update

After I purchased my MacBook, it never actually properly shut down. By not shutting down properly I mean the computer is able to exit all applications and turn into black screen after I goto and click "shut down", but the cursor stays on the screen and the TouchBar still displays the "esc", brightness, volume icons etc. The cursor and the TouchBar would not disappear after waiting for hours. Every time I have to press and hold the power button to force shut down my MacBook. Since this issue was not a problem for everyday use, I ignored it. However, now when I want to update my software from macOS Majave 10.14.6 to the newest macOS Catalina 10.15.5, it becomes a problem. After downloading everything and agreeing to the policies, the computer, as before, blackens and never shut off. When I force shut down and re-log into the system, the software version is still 10.14.6. How to fix this problem?

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 8:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 10:57 AM

Remove MEGAsync, MEGAupdater, Baidunetdisk, and the Astrill VPN client add-on and reboot, as a test.

If that doesn’t address this shutdown issue, Steam would be the next potential suspect.

I don’t see a scheduled backup here, and that can risk data loss. Get a current backup before making changes, amd absolutely before upgrades.

Prior to the Catalina upgrade, Go64 is a useful tool.

If the above don’t sort this, I’d back up, back up,again, and then wipe, then re-install Mojave or install Catalina, and migrate in your docs and files and apps. If that fails, re-do the re-install or install and skip migrating in the apps; re-install those from vendor distributions as needed.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 3, 2020 10:57 AM in response to endohiroki

Remove MEGAsync, MEGAupdater, Baidunetdisk, and the Astrill VPN client add-on and reboot, as a test.

If that doesn’t address this shutdown issue, Steam would be the next potential suspect.

I don’t see a scheduled backup here, and that can risk data loss. Get a current backup before making changes, amd absolutely before upgrades.

Prior to the Catalina upgrade, Go64 is a useful tool.

If the above don’t sort this, I’d back up, back up,again, and then wipe, then re-install Mojave or install Catalina, and migrate in your docs and files and apps. If that fails, re-do the re-install or install and skip migrating in the apps; re-install those from vendor distributions as needed.

Jun 3, 2020 8:29 AM in response to endohiroki

Does your computer shut down normally when booted in Safe Mode? Safe Mode disables various add-ons, among other steps.

Have any add-on anti-malware, add-on cleaners, add-on VPN clients, add-on anti-virus apps, or add-on firewall apps been installed?

Please download and run and post the output of EtreCheck here. Open a new reply here and then press the button that looks like a printed page to get a text input box big enough to paste the hardware and software configuration report here.

Macbook cannot shut down and cannot update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.