You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I updated to Catalina and now can't use Word, nor will my App Store open. HELP!

I updated yesterday and now I am unable to use Word (because it also needs to be updated), however when I click on the App Store to upgrade Word, it freezes. I have tried signing out of my Apple ID and back in, restarting laptop, and opening App Store from the browser, and nothing works. I need to use Word for work. Please help!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 11:21 AM

9 replies

Jun 3, 2020 11:27 AM in response to Cynthia707

Not sure what's going on with the App Store, but you don't need it to upgrade Office. You can get it directly from Microsoft.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/compare-all-microsoft-365-products?&rtc=1&activetab=tab%3aprimaryr1

The first two are the subscription version. Office 2019 at the right is the one-time cost perpetual license version. If you need Outlook there's a more expensive 2019 version ($249) for that.

Jun 3, 2020 12:01 PM in response to Cynthia707

Yes, Apple used to offer Office bundles with their computers. They haven't done that in a long time.

There's zero difference between Office on the App Store or directly from MS. It's actually a bit more expensive on the App Store because MS is fudging the price up to account for the high percentage Apple takes from the sale.

Just get it from MS.

I updated to Catalina and now can't use Word, nor will my App Store open. HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.