You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop spotlight from spinning up hard drives

Hi,

My Mac boots from SDs and is usually super fast when searching and finding documents via spotlight.

However, I have a couple of external hard drives for backup purposes and Final Cut footage libraries.

The problem is that whenever those hard drives are connected to the computer (even when not using them), they slow down spotlight. Let's say I'm looking for a document on my SSD. When putting the document name into spotlight it'll freeze for 10 seconds until my external final cut hard drive has spun up and only show the result then.

Is there a way to stop spotlight from searching external drives or at least search the internal drives first and then only show results from the hard drive when available?

I have an iMac Pro running 10.15.5

Many Thanks!

iMac Pro, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 5, 2020 12:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2020 1:45 PM

You can exclude those drives from Spotlight by adding the4m to the System/Spotlight/Privacy preference pane.

Similar questions

1 reply

Stop spotlight from spinning up hard drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.