You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Apple TV 4K upscale 1080p video?

Online it says Nvidia shield with upscaling, scales lower resolution video to your TV’s native resolution. 

If I have:

• a 1080p video
  • playing on Apple TV 4K
  • connected with an UHD HDMI cable to my Samsung 4K TV 

- would Apple TV 4K upscale the 1080p video to my Samsung 4K TV resolution

• even if the video is streamed in 1080p not 4K perhaps if the internet connection is not fast enough to stream 4K?

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 3:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 5:05 AM

I understand that the AI Upscaling from Nvidia Shield is different to Basic Upscaling. 

With Basic Upscaling

“Pixels from the lower resolution image are copied and repeated to fill out all the pixels of the higher resolution display.” 

With AI Upscaling

“a neural network model must be trained on countless images. The deployed AI model can then take low-resolution video and produce incredible sharpness and enhanced details no traditional scaler can recreate.”

I wonder if the current Apple TV 4K can do this or maybe the next model

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 17, 2020 5:05 AM in response to vazandrew

I understand that the AI Upscaling from Nvidia Shield is different to Basic Upscaling. 

With Basic Upscaling

“Pixels from the lower resolution image are copied and repeated to fill out all the pixels of the higher resolution display.” 

With AI Upscaling

“a neural network model must be trained on countless images. The deployed AI model can then take low-resolution video and produce incredible sharpness and enhanced details no traditional scaler can recreate.”

I wonder if the current Apple TV 4K can do this or maybe the next model

Does Apple TV 4K upscale 1080p video?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.