You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari full page length screenshot

In Safari on macOS is there a way via the dev tools or by other means to take a screenshot or save an entire webpage as an image? This would be really helpful when collecting items for research.

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 12:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 2:44 AM

Yes! I've got a couple great tips for you.

I don't know if you have any experience with the Screenshots tool; you can do a capture of any window such as your entire browser window by pressing four keys simultaneously. (Shift key + Command key + number 4 key + Space Bar) Now I know that's sort of octopus fingers, but you get used to it if you use it all the time. There are other commands available too.

Here is a support article that will familiarize you with all the choices: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

As if that tool wasn't great enough, I might have an even easier trick for you. While you're on the webpage you want to capture, just press Command key + letter i key. --This will open up Mail app and generate an email with all the contents of that webpage. Then you can just email it to yourself for easy access later.

The drawback of that method is that sometimes the formatting gets a little wonky in the way it appears within the email. Some things may get shifted around and such. But it's much better when you have a long scrolling webpage that can't be captured all in one screenshot. The regular screenshot method will of course only capture whatever is showing on your screen.

Hope these ideas help.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 7, 2020 2:44 AM in response to steeze

Yes! I've got a couple great tips for you.

I don't know if you have any experience with the Screenshots tool; you can do a capture of any window such as your entire browser window by pressing four keys simultaneously. (Shift key + Command key + number 4 key + Space Bar) Now I know that's sort of octopus fingers, but you get used to it if you use it all the time. There are other commands available too.

Here is a support article that will familiarize you with all the choices: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

As if that tool wasn't great enough, I might have an even easier trick for you. While you're on the webpage you want to capture, just press Command key + letter i key. --This will open up Mail app and generate an email with all the contents of that webpage. Then you can just email it to yourself for easy access later.

The drawback of that method is that sometimes the formatting gets a little wonky in the way it appears within the email. Some things may get shifted around and such. But it's much better when you have a long scrolling webpage that can't be captured all in one screenshot. The regular screenshot method will of course only capture whatever is showing on your screen.

Hope these ideas help.

Jun 7, 2020 4:24 AM in response to steeze

Safari does not have the feature available in Firefox that allows you to capture a full web page screenshot. To do that with Firefox (just tested with Firefox 77.0.1) see this article. When it suggests that you highlight the entire screen, ignore that and just choose the save full screen icon.

MacOS does not have any screen shot solution that will will capture a lengthy web page, though one can use the Reader button in the Safari address bar (if available for the site) to reformat the web page and export it as a PDF.

Safari full page length screenshot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.