You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Birthdays added to an entry in Contacts, shows up in both Contacts and on Apple calendar a day *later*!

Recently (maybe in the past six months or so?) every time I add a birthday to someone in Contacts, the date shows up in both Contacts and on Apple calendar as a day *later*! I don't use any other calendar app and I do back up to iCloud. It's enormously frustrating (and potentially problematic) to run the risk of being a day late acknowledging someone's birthday. This happens with new entries and it has happened with existing entries. Any thoughts on why this is happening and how to stop it?

MacBook

Posted on Jun 8, 2020 12:11 PM

3 replies

Jun 10, 2020 11:15 AM in response to BoomerGrad

Hey there, BoomerGrad.

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! Thanks for your question pertaining to birthdays in Calendar. I'd be glad to see what I can do to assist you with getting those to appear on the right day.

Have any changes occurred that might adjust the date over the last several months? I ask as you mentioned that this started about 6 months ago, so knowing if your time zone or any settings dealing with the date and time on your device have been updated or changed could be of import. also, do you does this occur on multiple devices, or is it specific to a single device? For example, if you make this change on your Mac and it shows the incorrect day, does the same thing happen if you make a change on your iPhone? If you need to verify or update the date or time, follow the steps below.

Set the date and time on your Mac

On an iOS device, go to Settings > General > Date & Time and make sure 'Set Automatically' is enabled.

You mentioned that you don't use any other calendar apps, but how about internet accounts with the potential for calendar entries? Are there any of those on your devices? On a Mac you could find those in System Preferences > Internet Accounts and on an iOS or iPadOS device, you'll see them in Settings > Passwords & Accounts.

Thanks!

Jun 11, 2020 2:32 PM in response to Brian_P7

Thanks for your suggestions. As I've continued to mess with this, and based on your suggestion to look at other internet accounts, it seems that my understanding of the relationship between my iCloud/Apple accounts (email, contacts, calendar) and the Exchange accounts is more complicated than I realized and may be part of the birthday entry problem. (I will note that one of the first things I thought to check was the Date/Time setting on my mac; it's fine.)

So, here's what I've discovered and the questions I now have:

1: The problem is only on my mac, not my iPhone.

2: In looking at my contacts on my mac, iPhone, and iCloud, I discovered that my lists of contacts on my mac and iphone matched but did not match those on iCloud (far fewer contacts there).

3: As to your suggestion to consider other internet accounts, I do have an email account that runs through a Microsoft Exchange server. On both my mac and iPhone, the Exchange server was set to access Mail, Contacts, and Calendar (which I didn't think I had set that way, but apparently did at some point in time). When I turned off access on my mac to contacts and calendar, leaving only Mail for the Exchange server, I lost all of my contacts except those that appeared in iCloud. Turning contact access back on for the Exchange account restored all the rest of my contacts, though they are now listed separately under the Exchange server (which had previously not been the case.)

4: Further checking shows that on my iPhone I have the Exchange account set as my default account for Contacts. I'm thinking that ages ago, when I first purchased an iPhone, my primary email account at the time was the Exchange account. Since then I began treating my @icloud email as my primary email account but never thought to select it as my default account for Contacts each time I upgraded to a new iPhone.

5: Meanwhile, the birthday settings, which I (once again) reset earlier today, seem to be holding. Can't tell you exactly what I might have done to fix it, if it is, indeed, fixed. Fingers crossed...

So...questions that I now have:

1: How might the Exchange account cause my original problem of having an extra day added to birthday entries in Contacts and their subsequent incorrect entry into Apple's birthday calendar?

2: Why would settings that are essentially the same for the Exchange account produce one result on my iPhone (birthday dates entered and recorded properly) but not on my mac?

3: What disaster might befall me if I change my Default account setting for Contacts from Exchange to iCloud? Or would it simply mean that going forward all new contact entries would show up in my iCloud Contact list?

Again, thanks!

Jun 13, 2020 2:13 PM in response to BoomerGrad

Hi, BoomerGrad.

Questions 1 and 2 are pretty symbiotic in that they are basically the same, and it's really hard to say why something like that would occur, but if you've pinpointed that this could be the root of the issue, that's a step in the right direction. For question 3, you shouldn't notice much of a difference other than as you mentioned, it'll begin storing new contacts there by default. Do keep an eye on the settings for birthdays though. If anything changes, be sure to reply back.

Take care.

Birthdays added to an entry in Contacts, shows up in both Contacts and on Apple calendar a day *later*!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.