You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't pull up shared music libraries in Apple Music anymore.

Please help. I can no longer open a shared music library from another user on my iMac. The instructions given by Apple are no longer working, because there is no down arrow next to the Library title in the left-side bar.

This is despite the fact that I am logged in to my Apple ID, and I have Family Sharing and Home Sharing on. I have no problem whatsoever pulling up the iMac's shared libraries on iPads and iPhones connected to the home network. The only problem is when I try to access a shared library on the iMac from another one of the iMac's users.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 8, 2020 2:05 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jun 10, 2020 12:15 PM in response to Justin Kalm

Hey Justin.

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! I'd be glad to look into this issue with you in a little more detail to see if we can get a better understanding of why you're not able to access those shared libraries like you could previously.

When was the last time this functionality worked for you? Shared media libraries are generally meant to work across computers on the same network rather than users on the same computer. Does that function work, or is it, like the sharing across users on the same computer, not working either? More info on that can be found in Share songs from a shared media library in Music on Mac. It'd also be a good idea to ensure that both your Mac and all software installed are fully updated. Learn more about making that a reality in How to update the software on your Mac.

Take care!

Jun 11, 2020 2:36 PM in response to sterling r

Hi, Sterling.

It might be that I haven't tried this functionality since iTunes was replaced by Apple Music. Did Apple Music kill this functionality, the same way it killed my album cover display? Is it something that might be coming back from the dead, like the indispensable column browser?

Sharing between different computers works fine. The problem is only with sharing across users on the same computer.

All of my software is up to date, running the latest version of Apple OS. I always keep my software up to date, which is starting to sound like a mistake at this point.

Can't pull up shared music libraries in Apple Music anymore.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.