You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All of a sudden, my Waze and Google maps cannot connect to GPS

All of a sudden, my Iphone 10 cannot connect to GPS. It come and goes, but mostly, there is a message at the top of the Waze screen that says: "No GPS. Showing approximate location". FYI, the location is usually 10 miles before the spot that I am at so it's basically useless.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jun 8, 2020 3:43 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2020 3:47 PM

GPS requires that you be outdoors with a clear view of the sky. Buildings, even trees, can block it. If you have Wi-Fi on it can locate you indoors and outdoors using GPS and cell tower triangulation, but that doesn’t use satellites at all. It should be accurate, however, unless you recently replaced your Wi-Fi router.

If you go outside with no obstacles blocking your view of the sky and GPS doesn’t work you may have a hardware problem. To be sure restart your phone, and after that if it still doesn’t work restore the phone to factory settings.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 8, 2020 3:47 PM in response to bmilkie

GPS requires that you be outdoors with a clear view of the sky. Buildings, even trees, can block it. If you have Wi-Fi on it can locate you indoors and outdoors using GPS and cell tower triangulation, but that doesn’t use satellites at all. It should be accurate, however, unless you recently replaced your Wi-Fi router.

If you go outside with no obstacles blocking your view of the sky and GPS doesn’t work you may have a hardware problem. To be sure restart your phone, and after that if it still doesn’t work restore the phone to factory settings.

Jun 11, 2020 11:06 AM in response to bmilkie

Hi bmilkie,

Same happened to me recently on my iPhone 6. After reading several articles and suggestions to fix, and an update, it is still not working. I read through some of the questions here and came across a post that said the latest update no longer supports GPS on older models. Not sure how true that is, but it’s awfully strange that all of sudden it stopped working.

All of a sudden, my Waze and Google maps cannot connect to GPS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.