You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Startup disk not found after overheating

I have a macbook pro 13" retina (Late 2013) and it was running the latest macOS Catalina (10.15.5). I was running chrome when suddenly my laptop overheated and the system froze, as a result I had to hold the power button to shut it down. But after I booted my macbook pro, there was this folder with question mark sign flashing on my screen. I tried everything that I knew of - resetting PRAM, SMC, internet recovery and hardware check. While in recovery mode, I could not find the startup disk in disk utilities. Once , while I was trying internet recovery, the startup disk showed up out of nowhere and I was able to go till the login screen but as soon as I enter my password, it froze again and the startup disk had vanished again. Another time, when I was booting into my macOS which I had installed on my external HDD, the original macos startup disk again popped up and I saw the kernel panic screen which said in different languages - 'Your computer was restarted due to a problem. Press a key or wait a few seconds for it to restart'.

I am currently running macOS on my external hard drive.

Also, I'm really sorry for this awfully long question. I tried to provide every detail that I could.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jun 10, 2020 9:12 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jun 10, 2020 5:19 PM in response to vini298

If you can boot into Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R) or to your external drive, then launch Disk Utility and click on "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drives appear on the left pane of Disk Utility. If the physical SSD doesn't appear, then it means your SSD has failed.

If you are booting from your external drive you can also check the Apple System Profiler to see if the internal SSD appears under "Storage", or "SATA", or "NVMExpress". If there is no SSD listed in these places, then the SSD has most likely failed.

If the SSD has failed, then you can replace it with a third party SSD from OWC.

Startup disk not found after overheating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.