You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music Library Copy and Sync

My music library on my iMac is about 7000 tracks, all in ALAC format.

I want to create a second copy of the library in AAC 320 kbps format (preserving playlists etc) and then sync that to my iPhone.

I know that sync can be done automatically at AAC 256 kbps. However, I'm interested in the generic option of how to make an exact copy of a library and then put it in a different format to the original library.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Posted on Jun 11, 2020 2:16 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2020 6:45 PM

Hi Munlochy, That sounds like a lot of trouble just to end up with 320 on your phone instead of 256, but up to you.

There are several ways to do it, none of them convenient, and all of which you have probably already thought of. However, if you really want to go this way, I would suggest a single library with both copies in it. Otherwise any contortions you go through to set up two separate libraries will have to be repeated each time you add new songs. Adding in one format, converting to AAC/320, and leaving the AAC in the same library seems simplest.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 11, 2020 6:45 PM in response to MunlochyMan

Hi Munlochy, That sounds like a lot of trouble just to end up with 320 on your phone instead of 256, but up to you.

There are several ways to do it, none of them convenient, and all of which you have probably already thought of. However, if you really want to go this way, I would suggest a single library with both copies in it. Otherwise any contortions you go through to set up two separate libraries will have to be repeated each time you add new songs. Adding in one format, converting to AAC/320, and leaving the AAC in the same library seems simplest.

Music Library Copy and Sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.