You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV remote not pairing

I have an Apple TV HD and an Apple TV 4K. The remote for the HD (the older style with no white border around the menu button) recently dropped and cracked. I bought a new remote to replace it (the newer style with the white border around the menu button) and attempted to pair it. I cannot get it to pair. I get a message saying to bring the remote closer to the Apple TV — I have touched the two together — and it still does not connect. As an experiment, I tried pairing the remote from my 4K (also the newer style) with my HD and it also has the same problem. In both cases, I hold down menu and volume up, get a message to bring it closer but no distance seems to actually connect the newer style remotes with the HD box.

Apple TV HD, tvOS 13

Posted on Jun 12, 2020 4:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2020 2:21 AM

Remove or shut off other bluetooth devices in the area.

The “bring closer” step is to distinguish the remote from other devices.

The ultimate closeness is to lay the remote on top of the Apple TV, but the remote should be acknowledged before that time.

If your Apple TV remote isn’t working - Apple Support

If you still need help, contact Apple Support.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 13, 2020 2:21 AM in response to bamamike10

Remove or shut off other bluetooth devices in the area.

The “bring closer” step is to distinguish the remote from other devices.

The ultimate closeness is to lay the remote on top of the Apple TV, but the remote should be acknowledged before that time.

If your Apple TV remote isn’t working - Apple Support

If you still need help, contact Apple Support.

Apple TV remote not pairing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.