You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard repeat not working - MacBook Pro Catalina 10.15.5

Apologies if this may have been posted elsewhere but couldn't find it. Just got a new MacBook Pro, I've checked the keyboard settings in system preferences, key repeat is set to fast, delay is set to short, but no alpha characters will repeat at all when I hold them down. The only keys that repeat are punctuation, return,delete,spacebar, and arrow keys. Works fine on my old MacBook Air and the settings are exactly the same. Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook

Posted on Jun 13, 2020 3:06 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2020 5:25 AM

You can try this:

open Terminal App and type

defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool false

and then restart.

(Note that for many years now the default for MacOS has been for letters not to repeat. Instead you get popup menus with accented versions. Presumably that is what you see when you hold down an "e"?)

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 13, 2020 5:25 AM in response to ChrissDog

You can try this:

open Terminal App and type

defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool false

and then restart.

(Note that for many years now the default for MacOS has been for letters not to repeat. Instead you get popup menus with accented versions. Presumably that is what you see when you hold down an "e"?)

Keyboard repeat not working - MacBook Pro Catalina 10.15.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.