You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

best pdf viewer to copy and paste text

I have a pdf, from a paid members group. I'm using Preview and I highlighted a few lines. When I pasted it, I got the whole page, looks like a jpg, not getting the plain text portion I hoped for.

Is this common? Can I not copy and paste text from Preview? Do I need a different pdf viewer to do so?

MacBook Air

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 9:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 9:59 AM

The PDF, or part of it may have been scanned, and that part of it will be an image, not the selectable text that you expected. If that is the case, then you will need optical character recognition (OCR) software to extract the text from the image.

4 replies

Jun 16, 2020 3:19 PM in response to yogahead

It sounds like what Viking OS X said may be the case. If that is the case and you are seeing a picture of the text, then when you copy, you will get all of that picture. One way to confirm this is to attempt to open the file with Microsoft Word and, if possible, copy the text from there. Word will often open a HPG. You do this by having Word open and then using the Open command in Word and then selecting the file to be opened. Good luck.

best pdf viewer to copy and paste text

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.