You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Confused about difference between a locked file & a read-only file

I have a Mac & my sister has a Windows computer.

I use Libre Office if that helps. She has Word, I guess.

I sent my sister a document in .docx format. She made changes to it without my permission & sent it back to me. I spent over an hour changing the document back.

I don't want that to happen in the future.

I'm confused about the difference between a locked document & a read-only document.

I haven't been able to find much information online. I believe that a locked document can't be deleted.

I only want her to be able to read the document but not edit it. When I clicked on Get Info for the document that I sent, it shows that I have read & write privileges but Everyone has read-only privileges. For some reason, I also saw Staff which I had never seen before.

When I opened the document, there was a blue bar at the top stating that the document is in read-only. All I had to do was click on the button on the right-side of the blue bar to edit it. I don't want my sister to have the option of clicking on the button on the blue bar.

What will happen if she tries to edit a read-only document? What message will pop up?

Do I need to just set the document to read-only? Do I really need to lock it?

How does the document that I created "know" that is opened on a computer other than mine?

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 6:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply
1 reply

Confused about difference between a locked file & a read-only file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.