You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I downgraded from Catalina back to Mojave w Cataline. With my Mojave vers I cannot open my catalina vers of phlibry. How do I know if I have more pictures in PhAl than in my Photos file. Is PA just a rearrangement of photos from my Photos file? ?

I downgraded from Catalina back to Mojave because of slowness issues w Catalina. Mojave says I need to upgrade to Catalina to be able to open my photolibrary which I made while using Catalina. I just want to know if I will be missing any pictures if I just don't bother with trying to access photolibrary. I would like to know if it is possible to have more pictures in photolibrary than in my photos folder or if Photolibary is just a rearrangement of photos from my photos file.

Thank you for helping me understand this.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 2:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 3:38 PM

Do you have a backup of your boot drive made just prior to what you upgraded to Catalina? Maybe Time Machine or a clone of the drive.

If you do then restore the iPhoto library from the backup made before you upgraded to Catalina.

If you're running a "managed" library

you don't need to save the source image files after they've been copied into the library. To do so would be to take up twice as much disc space as necessary.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 23, 2020 3:38 PM in response to jacchan

Do you have a backup of your boot drive made just prior to what you upgraded to Catalina? Maybe Time Machine or a clone of the drive.

If you do then restore the iPhoto library from the backup made before you upgraded to Catalina.

If you're running a "managed" library

you don't need to save the source image files after they've been copied into the library. To do so would be to take up twice as much disc space as necessary.

Jun 23, 2020 4:11 PM in response to Old Toad

Thank you so much for replying so promptly. Unfortunately I did not do anything special to save my drive before I upgraded to Catalina. I am now much more aware of the dangers when one upgrades instead of installing a new copy.

I have saved my photos in my photo folder which I have no trouble accessing in any version. My concern is that I don't remember if the photos I put into the photolibrary came only from my photo folder or whether I transferred photos from elsewhere so that there might be photos in the photolibrary that I have not saved in my photofolder. Do you know if photo folder is the only source from which you can download photos into photolibary?. If so, I do have my photos and won't have to worry about accessing the catalina version of photo library.

Jun 23, 2020 4:26 PM in response to jacchan

jacchan wrote:

Thank you so much for replying so promptly. Unfortunately I did not do anything special to save my drive before I upgraded to Catalina. 1- I am now much more aware of the dangers when one upgrades instead of installing a new copy.

I have saved my photos in my photo folder which I have no trouble accessing in any version. My concern is that I don't remember if the photos I put into the photolibrary came only from my photo folder or whether I transferred photos from elsewhere so that there might be photos in the photolibrary that I have not saved in my photofolder. 2 - Do you know if photo folder is the only source from which you can download photos into photolibary?. If so, I do have my photos and won't have to worry about accessing the catalina version of photo library.

1 - I've never installed from scratch when I've upgraded to newer systems and have never had a problem.

2 - you can import photos into a library from any location on your drive, from an email, a website, a camera or phone. They don't have to be in the Pictures folder to import into a library.

Do you not have any backup of your hard drive? That's like driving without a seatbelt. You don't need them until you do. If you don't enable some sort of backup strategy you'll lose your data for sure. Because there are only two types of hard drives: those that have failed and those that will fail eventually. The easiest backup strategy to enable is Time Machine with an external hard drive.

I downgraded from Catalina back to Mojave w Cataline. With my Mojave vers I cannot open my catalina vers of phlibry. How do I know if I have more pictures in PhAl than in my Photos file. Is PA just a rearrangement of photos from my Photos file? ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.