You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I simply unplug iMac and external hard drives when exchanging a surge protecter for a new one?

I'm a novice. What are steps to be taken if I want to install a new surge protector and I have an iMac with two external hard drives? One is Seagate; other NewerTech. The Seagate is plugged into the NewerTech. Do I really have to eject them and then reinstall? I can't find software for the Seagate.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 7:38 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 8:00 PM

You don't have to reinstall anything, eject them & shut everything dow, unplug them & after replacing the surge protector & Plugging things in, the drives should mount when you start the Mac up/

5 replies

Can I simply unplug iMac and external hard drives when exchanging a surge protecter for a new one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.