You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failing/Sticky Key - How to repair

Hi everyone...

Since yesterday one of my keys from my MacBook Air laptop is starting to fail... you press it but won't respond, takes a few trials.

I know this is probably due to garbage, dust, hair, ... on the inside of the keyboard.

I had the same problem about 3 months ago with a different key, but after cleaning and keep on working with it's now perfect.

My question is... should I go for a cleaning repair? I'm afraid that opening the macbook to repair this "simple problem" might cause more damage.

Tkx in advance for help.

Posted on Jun 26, 2020 9:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2020 12:38 PM

Opening the laptop won't fix this problem. If cleaning the keyboard using compressed air doesn't fix the problem, then you need to get the laptop repaired by Apple or an AASP. Make sure to keep the can of compressed air completely upright or you will damage the laptop. See this Apple article for cleaning the laptop keyboard:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205662

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 26, 2020 12:38 PM in response to joao_oliv

Opening the laptop won't fix this problem. If cleaning the keyboard using compressed air doesn't fix the problem, then you need to get the laptop repaired by Apple or an AASP. Make sure to keep the can of compressed air completely upright or you will damage the laptop. See this Apple article for cleaning the laptop keyboard:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205662

Failing/Sticky Key - How to repair

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.