You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac crashed - now only 720p or lower for Export

My Mac crashed and rebooted while iMovie was open. When re-opening iMovie it popped up a message saying something about ___Trash being corrupted. With options to 'Continue' or 'Repair'.

I clicked Continue initially. But when re-opening a 2nd time it had the same message so I clicked 'Repair'.

If I try to save to file via the Share button I only get 720p as the default and 540p with 1080p greyed out. This is from a Project.

This is a new Project (and the only one), the media clip is freshly added:

I have tried deleting all media and all projects and creating a new Movie Project, as I know the first clip added sets the resolution. But it doesn't matter if I add a 4k, 2.7k or 1080p clip. It will only let me Share as 720p.

This is the clip:

Oddly if I go to the Media section of iMove instead of the Projects (top tab bar). And select the same clip, I do get all the resolutions to save to file:

I have also tried removing iMovie by dropping the Trash, then going to ~/Library and deleting all I could find with iMovie in (I may have missed some bits, I do not know). And deleting the Trash content. I then downloaded and installed from the App Store.

Machine is a 2012 Mac Mini running Mojave v 10.14.6

However I've used iMovie loads, the day before in fact and was working fine then. I regularly export 2.7 & 4k vids.

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 4:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 7:38 AM

iMovie supports 4k 30fps, but not 4k 60fps. Could that be your problem? It also does not support a 2.7k export. If you have a 4k 60fps clip in a project iMovie will knock it down to 1080 60fps. It's different in the media browser. In the media browser you probably would get a 4k 30fps export option, but not 4k 60fps.

Try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if you get the proper share options.

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 29, 2020 7:38 AM in response to 300bhp-ton

iMovie supports 4k 30fps, but not 4k 60fps. Could that be your problem? It also does not support a 2.7k export. If you have a 4k 60fps clip in a project iMovie will knock it down to 1080 60fps. It's different in the media browser. In the media browser you probably would get a 4k 30fps export option, but not 4k 60fps.

Try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if you get the proper share options.

-- Rich

Mac crashed - now only 720p or lower for Export

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.